The Historic Commission was established by Ordinance #67 in accordance with Chapter 673 of New Hampshire State Law. The Commission was responsible for drafting Lebanon’s Historic District, the Colburn Park District. The Commission is also responsible for administering regulations within the historic district. The Commission is also responsible for the dissemination of information regarding the City’s historical resources and for conducting the landmark program.
The Historic District Landmark Designation Program was created to identify and aid in the protection of sites and significant architectural and historical value in the City. The landmark program aims to conserve property values and strengthen the local economy as well as encourage property owners to invest in the rehabilitation of their buildings. For a building to receive Historic Landmark Designation it must possess historical architectural or cultural significance. For example, qualifying sites may be associated with historical events or with the lives of significant persons in our past or the site may embody the distinctive characteristics of a particular style.
The following buildings and sites have been selected by the Historic District Commission as Historic Landmarks:
Lebanon City Hall – 51 North Park Street
Built in 1923/1924 in the New Federal style. displaying symmetry, proportions, cupola and ornamentation characteristic of the Federal style, popular about 100 years before this structure was built The architect was Jens Frederic Larson of Larson & Wells. One of the dominant buildings in the city center, the city hall remains virtually intact.
Lebanon Public Library – 9 East Park Street
Built in 1909 in the Classic Revival style. Nearly half of its cost came from Andrew Carnegie funds. The architects were Dedian & Wright of Boston, Massachusetts, and the contractor was E. Findley Phelps of Lebanon. Lebanon has a long and rich history which is reflected in numerous structures, natural areas, and roads. By living in the midst of the remainders of the past, Lebanon’s inhabitants still enjoy many of the aesthetic and cultural benefits which have developed from the Community’s history. The City has taken measures to protect and conserve its historic resources.
Soldiers Memorial Building – North Park Street
Built from 1886-1890 by Civil War Veterans as a memorial to their comrades and as a free public library. After the library moved to another building in 1909, the first floor was converted into a war museum. The building now serves as a memorial to veterans of all wars. The Memorial chamber, a consecrated chapel, contains marble tablets with the names of all Lebanon’s Civil War Veterans. The building appears to be the first of its use in New Hampshire. The architect was a local war veteran Ferdinand Davis. It is in Vernacular Queen Anne style.
Whipple Block – West Park Street
Built in 1882 in the Queen Anne style. The architect was 1. F. Davis with Muchmore and Whipple the builders. It originally contained the Masonic Temple and a Public Hall on the top floor known as the Whipple Hall. It had stores on the ground floor and offices on the second floor. It was twice gutted by fire in 1894 and again in 1930.
The Wood House – 4 South Park Street
Built around 1830 by Wareham Morse, an early merchant of Lebanon. It is constructed in the Transitional Federal Greek Revival with Colonial Revival style details. Portions of the house may date to the late 1700′ s. Much of it was restored in 1991 due to fire.
The Willis House – 2 South Park Street
Built in 1842 for William P. Willis by Alpheus Baker, the brickmason. It originally faced School Street, but was turned in the 1850’s to face South Park Street. The Wareham Morse store stood north of the home on what is now the front lawn. The store building was moved to Green Street where it exists today.
The Kendrick-Wood Brick House – 8 South Park Street
Dates back to 1819. It is in the Federal style with Colonial Revival additions. In the early 20th century, it had a large Victorian front porch. The present front porch and Palladian window above it are later additions. It was a single family residence for the same family from 1818 until 1984.
Churchill House and Carriage House – 3 Campbell Street
Built for Colonel Frank C. Churchill in 1892 by plans from architect John A. Fox of Boston, Massachusetts. The house is of the Queen Anne style. Originally it was a single family dwelling, but was later converted into apartments. Colonel Churchill was a prominent citizen and Inspector of Indian Affairs under President Theodore Roosevelt. His wife was an artist, musician, and discriminating collector of Native American Art.
Campbell-Carter Mansion – Campbell Street
Built in 1845 for Henry H. Campbell, the designing engineer for the Northern Railroad, from plans of local architect Ammi B. Young. It was built in Italianate style with Colonial Revival alterations at the turn of the century. Henry Carter was a noted traveling merchant with magnificent peddler wagons and later manufactured ‘Carter Overalls’. He was known as the ‘Prince of Peddlers’ and the ‘Merchant Prince of Northern New England’. Marion Jackson Carter, Henry Carter’s granddaughter, left this lovely home endowed for the use of certain chosen organizations that contribute to Lebanon’s betterment.
The First Congregational Church – 10 South Park Street
Built in 1828. It was designed by architect was Ammi B. Young and is in the Federal style. Its south end was lengthened by thirty-five feet for an organ chancel and vestry in 1866. It has been further lengthened, but the sanctuary exterior remains the same with tall side windows, which is believed to be an innovation of Young.
Lebanon Baptist Church – 9 School Street
Built in 1869 by local builders Muchmore & Sons. It was designed by S.S. Woodcock of Boston, Massachusetts in the Gothic Revival style. The interior contains ash pews with black walnut trim and are adorned by trefoils and ash wainscotting. C.V. Cobb, a deacon of the Church, crafted the pulpit and three chairs in the Gothic Revival style when the church was constructed.
Rivermill Complex – 85 Mechanic Street
Built in 1882 and historically known as Mascoma Flannel Mill. It was Lebanon’s first woolen mill and one of the few mill structures surviving basically intact. The original small brick mill with tower has been added to over the years. It became part of the American Woolen Co. in 1899 and was utilized into the 1930’s.
The Lyman Whipple House – 19 Parkhurst Street
Built in 1868. It is an intact example of the Vernacular Gothic Revival style. A single story porch encircles the gable front and is supported by open slotted posts setting on pedestals with recessed panels. Lyman Whipple, who purchased the unfinished house from W.H. Harris, probably completed it and is responsible for its appearance.
Stone Arch Underpass – Glen Road
The only one of Lebanon’s railroad bridges to remain unchanged for over 150 years. It was constructed in 1848. The designer is unknown, but H.R. Campbell, Chief Engineer for the Northern Railroad, supervised the construction of numerous bridges between 1848 and 1859. The Stone Arch Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1985.
Westboro Yard and Roundhouse – Railroad Avenue
Originally named the West Lebanon Station, but due to accidents, all stations were renamed and given one-word names to eliminate confusion. The first train arrived in Lebanon on November 17, 1847, and was the force behind Lebanon’s early development.
Seminary Hill School – Seminary Hill
Formerly known as the Tilden Female Seminary. The building is mostly brick and the original stone foundation is still intact. A charter was granted by the state to establish a private school for the education of women. The school opened in 1855 and closed in 1890 due to declining enrollment. The building is now used as the SAU offices for the Lebanon School District.
West Lebanon Congregational Church – Maple Street
Built in 1849. It is of the Greek Revival style. It was designed by Moses Wood, the son of a member of the church’s building committee. The builder was Colonel Charles Eggleston, who also built several churches in Plainfield and Cornish.
Dana House – Elm Street West
Built about 1765. lt is a good example of an 18th century cape which has undergone minimal alterations over the past 200 years. It is the oldest existing house in Lebanon and was the pioneer home of the Dana family who were amongst the earliest settlers of Lebanon. The City now owns Dana House and will convert it into a museum and education facility.
Old Pine Tree Cemetery – Old Pine Tree Cemetery Road
Lebanon’s first “burying grounds” established in 1768 by a land swap between the town and one of the town’s first residents. Many of the stones date back before this country’s founding.
Nathanial Porter-Stearns-Wood Farm – Poverty Lane
Built in 1792. It is in the Georgian-Colonial style with its hip roof well preserved. The adjacent farmland and orchards remain undeveloped which contribute to the integrity of the site.
Ascutney View Farm – Poverty Lane
Built as early as 1776. Legend states that the original owner, Moses Hebard, could hear the distant cannons of the battle of Bunker Hill while shingling his roof that year. The addition is built in the Greek Revival style and is unaltered by later additions. The interior still contains a large brick arch. The buildings are still owned by relatives of the original builder.
The MacLeod House – Hardy Hill
Built in the 1700’s in the Dutch Colonial style with a gambrel roof. Most of the original structure is retained with additions, but the central chimney and handsome paneled wainscot have been removed.
The Middleton House – Great Brook Road
Built in the 1770’s to 1797. It is in the Georgian style. It retains most of its original details and has been professionally restored to beautiful condition. It has also retained its original graining and Indian Shutters inside. The first wife of Ammi B. Young, a prominent architect, was born in this house.
Benwood Tavern – Meriden Road
Built in the 1790’s and was the tavern of Benjamin Wood for a time. It is in the Georgian style with unusual splayed lintel door frame which is indicative of the Georgian style and seen throughout the region. It is the only known house in Lebanon with stenciled walls throughout the structure.
The Cooper-Dwinell House – 94 Bank Street
Built in 1901 for a banker names Charles Cooper. It is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style, characterized by freely combined details of the Georgian and Federal styles with Queen Anne influence as well. From 1943 to 1987, it was the home of Lane Dwinell, the 69th Governor of the State of New Hampshire.
Young-Dulac House – 55 Mascoma Street
Built by Samuel Young in the 1790’s in the Classic Italianate style. Ammi Young was born here. Ammi was a nationally known architect.
The following properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
Stone Arch Underpass – Glen Road
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1985
Colburn Park Historic District – N., S., E., and W. Park Sts., 3 Campbell St., 1 School St., 1 Bank St., and 9-10 Lebanon Mall
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 10, 1986
Spring Hill Farm – 263 Meriden Road
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 13, 2002
1 thought on “Guide to Historic Landmarks”