Built in 1845 for Henry H. Campbell, the designing engineer for the Northern Railroad, the mansion was based on the plans of local architect Ammi B. Young. It was built in Italianate style with Colonial Revival alterations at the turn of the century.
Henry Carter was a noted traveling merchant with magnificent peddler wagons; he later manufactured “Carter Overalls.” He was known as the “Prince of Peddlers” and the “Merchant Prince of Northern New England.”
Marion Jackson Carter, Henry Carter’s granddaughter, left this lovely home endowed for the use of certain chosen organizations that contribute to Lebanon’s betterment.